The “F-1” visa is for USA academic studies for foreign Students. It’s a non-immigrant visa for student, which will permit the applicant to stay for a particular period of time in the United States to accomplish the purpose of studying.
All applicants for F1 visas must overcome the legal presumption that they are intending immigrants. To qualify for a visa, applicants must demonstrate that they
· Plan to remain in the U.S. for only a specific, limited time.
· Have sufficient funds for the stay in the U.S.
· Have a residence outside the U.S., as well as other binding obligations, which will ensure departure at the conclusion of the stay in the U.S.
Once an F-1 visa has been issued please be aware, however, that new U.S. law allows students and trainees to enter the United States no more than 30 days before the program start date indicated on their I-20 or DS-2019. In general, we recommend that such visa holders ENTER NO MORE THAN 10 DAYS before their program start date. While it is possible to enter up to 30 days in advance, students/trainees should be prepared to justify to immigration officials the need for any earlier arrival.
Steps to apply for F1 visa in india
Step 1:-Scanned Photograph
When you start your application for F1 VISA, you will have to fill a DS-160 form for which you will have to have a scanned digital photograph ready which meets US VISA criteria.You need to have this photograph in a JPEG/PNG format in order to upload it on DS-160 form.
Please Note: Some embassies or consulates no longer require you to upload a digital photograph while filling out the DS-160 form. In such cases, the photograph will taken at the OFC (offsite facilitation center) or VAC (Visa Application Center) along with the fingerprinting.
Step 2 : Fill The Ds-160 Online Form
Form DS-160 is an online non-immigrant visa application form required by most US consulates worldwide, including India.
- Log on to : https://ceac.state.gov/GENNIV/default.aspx
- Select the location and start filling the application.
- Fill the DS-160 form with details as it is on your i20 and passport.
- Print the confirmation page.
NOTE: When you complete and submit the application, a link to print your completed US VISA form will be available to you. This link will be valid only for the first time. Once the session times out, the DS-160 form print link will be disabled. So, make sure you get a print of the form in the first session when you complete and submit your form. This form is not required for F1 US VISA interview ,it is only for your reference .
If you are facing any difficulties check How to fill the DS-160 Form.
Step 3: Pay the fees for F1 US VISA application
Depending on the type of USA visa you are applying for, the US visa fees may be different.Since you are applying for F1 student visa you need to pay 160 dollars that is around 10200/- rupees. US consulate determines the visa fees in Indian Rupees. The exact fee equivalent in Indian Rupees (INR) is subject to change depending on currency exchange rates.
USA Visa application fee is non-refundable: Since the US visa is subject to approval, after the visa interview. If your visa is refused, the visa application fee is not refundable. If you want to re-apply you can do so, but must follow the process and resubmit the new application and visa fee.
MODES OF PAYMENT :-
- Bank Electronic Payment via NEFT(Complete Details)
- Mobile Payments – IMPS(Complete Details)
- Cash payment at CitiBank or Axis bank.
Payment at AXIS bank /Citibank
You can pay your nonimmigrant visa application fee in cash at any of the designated AXIS or Citibank branches. Before going to the bank, you must print and carry the applicable U.S. visa fee collection slip available after logging into your profile. Take the completed fee collection slip to the bank when you pay your fee. After receiving your payment, the bank will give you a receipt. Values are shown in (USD); however the Fee payable is in Indian Rupees (INR) at the current Consular Exchange rate shown here.
To view Citibank locations, click here.
To view Axis bank locations, click here.
To view Druk bank locations, click here.
Step 4:Fix an appointment for F1 US VISA interview
- Log on to http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/
- Select Non immigrant.
- Register and create a profile online
- Log in and fill the information as in the I-20 and passport.
- Make the payment as mentioned in the above step.
- Schedule Consular appointment .
- Schedule OFC appointment.
- Print the appointment confirmation.
- You can take appointment online at Stanley website US visa online appointment system (USTravelDocs.com).
- You can also call center +912267209400/ +911206602222 /+13106165424(USA local number) for any help with appointment
- Do not wait until the last minute to book your interview — you may not get your preferred date and time.
STEP 5: Pay The SEVIS FEE
- Log on to https://www.fmjfee.com/
- Click on I-20 And then OK.
- Fill the information as in I-20.
- Verify the details.
- Enter Credit card details and make the payment.
- Print the receipt.
Step 6: VISA Interview
Here is video about what happen inside the consulate.